Sunday, November 7, 2010

Sorry, Cinderella

Graduation from the Police Academy was a very happy day.  So I invited my mentor, the Sergeant in charge of sheparding recruits, and his wife to a BBQ and pool party for a small celebration.  

We told 'academy' stories and laughed alot. He and his wife were just a lot of fun. We'd polished of  a couple bottles of wine and had a little buzz going as we jumped into the pool/

 We all played a game of Marco Polo and every one was having a good time.  As it got later into the evening we relaxed on the steps of the pool he says to me, "So, when is your first shift?"

"Tomorrow." I replied.
"What shift did you get assigned to?"  he asked.
"Midnights."

So he says,  "Well isn't that in a couple hours from now?" 

Holy crap!  Here I was partying and I had to report to my first squad meeting in less than 3 hours! 

That buzz burned off real quick as I rushed to prepare for my first shift meeting.

When we walked out the cruiser my training officer asked me if I wanted to drive.

"Naw,  think I'll pass tonite if you don't mind.  I didn't think that was such a good idea.  I was not under the influence but I didn't want to take any chances.

A few hours into the shift we responded to a hit and run crash.  The remaining vehicle was so heavily damaged and there was a lot of debris from the car that left the scene.  We looked through it and there on the ground was a magnetic 'hide-a-key' box directly below where the 'run' car would have been,  inside was an ignition key.

We followed the leaking fluid trail about 12 blocks and found a car with extensive front end damage.  The driver, a woman, was passed behind the wheel.  She denied being the other half of our hit and run, but her goose was cooked.

Sorry, Cinderella, your key fits!  Duh....................

I learned a couple lessons that night:
  • Pay closer attention to my schedule. 
  • Never party a few hours before work
  • There is no substitute for good friends who've got your back
  • To err is human, to forgive is not department policy
  • and there but for the grace of luck went I.
I never did that again!
(well, maybe a couple times, but I'm just sayin')

No comments: